Well we have been stuck inside for three weeks now. #Quarantine2020...yay! And many of us still have at least a month to go.
I thought it could be fun to create a little cultural exchange for your kids so you can organize a Mexican Culture and Fiesta Day at your house using items you can order from Amazon.com. A great way to pass time using creativity, movement, cooking and literature while learning about another culture. Like a trip to Mexico without leaving your house!
Here are my suggestions for the day and all the materials needed are linked below.
1. Make a piñata using a kit found on Amazon (linked below). Learn the song that Mexican's actually sing in the video below, fill it with whatever you want (candy, coins you have around the house, confetti, small toys) and break it.
2. Before lunch make flan in a mug to have for dessert at lunch or dinner. Video with recipe below.
3. Afternoon physical activity - lay out cushions and pillows in a room, put on your Lucha Libre masks and have a wrestling match. If your kids are a bit older a Lucha video is linked below.
4. Read a book before bed
"Too Many Tamales" a sweet book with nothing controversial
"Niño Wrestles the World" about a child luchador fighting bad guys with fun illustrations. WARNING the kid fights some scary traditional Mexican characters like a mummy, la llorona whose child died and she became a ghost, and the devil. So read the reviews and make a choice based on your kid.
Mug Flan Recipe
Lucha Libre Video
1. Piñata Options (choose from options below) PLEASE pay attention to delivery dates and availability
Alex Brand Piñata Party
DIY Unicorn Piñata
Klutz Make Mini Piñatas Craft Kit
Small Rainbow Star DIY Pinata Craft Kit
2. Amazon Pantry Flan Ingredients (or just get them on your next store run)
Vanilla (if you don't have it)
I am assuming you have sugar, eggs, and milk
3. Lucha Libre Masks (not cheap but I promise they will be worn more than once)
Quality adult size (there is a drop down list of 18 masks to choose from)
Kids size 5 pack (These are lower quality but you get 5)
Too Many Tamales Kindle or Paperback
Niño Wrestles the World Kindle or Paperback
Diviertense! Have Fun!
If you decide to play along, and you are on Instagram, please share pics with me @kristineklick
In Love & Tacos
Rants of a Diplomat's Wife
Hola, I am an American married to a Mexican Diplomat. I am on my 3rd post as a trailing spouse. The first two posts I joined were in the US, and in July 2018 we moved to Mexico City. Maybe it was the fact that I was pumping out my diplo-babies, or maybe I didn't think anyone would be interested in diplomatic life at my US posts, but I didn't blog then. Now I am in Mexico, and perhaps you might find it interesting to know what life is like here. This is where I share my adventures and thoughts at my current post.